This role demands the skills of an analytical team player who will assist the Controller and accounting team with the strategic planning, financial, budgetary, and administrative functions of the division. The Assistant Controller must have knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, as they will directly aid in the preparation of financial reports and statistical data reflecting earnings, profits, cash balances and other financial results. They will also be involved with formulating and reviewing policies and procedures for the division related to financial and information systems and internal controls, to assure that financial and operating reports accurately reflect the condition of the business and provide reliable information necessary to control it. It is therefore imperative that he/she possess the ability to autonomously assess accuracy and consistency of data to ensure information is properly reconciled while highlighting inconsistencies or unusual transactions.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will be required to have excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of different financial and analytical techniques and the capability to plan work and respect deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparing various reports including, but not limited to, monthly/quarterly financial statements, weekly operating results, gross margin, and cash flow with appropriate variance analytics.
- Communicating financial results with senior and executive management.
- Providing supervision, leadership, and direction to a team responsible for accounts receivable, invoicing, cash, and analytics.
- Assisting the Controller in ensuring timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements.
- Aid in the development of financial forecasts and budgetary process.
- Assists in the development of accounting policy, internal controls, and information systems.
- Identify and prevent inaccuracies in financial statements by assisting the Controller in monitoring internal control systems and adopting proper policies for financial reporting.
- Ensure completeness, timeliness and accuracy of journal entries posted in the General Ledger and review account reconciliations prepared by junior staff, review reasonability of expenses at each month end.
- Assisting in the company’s monthly and yearly closing.
- Liaison with internal financial statement auditors.
- Take responsibility for aspects of corporate compliance with applicable federal and provincial legislation and regulations. Interpret new and existing legislative requirements, and act as the liaison for any governmental audits or inquiries.
- Assisting in special projects/ad hoc reports as requested.
- Professional accredited accounting designation (CPA – CA/CMA/CGA), supplemented with an undergraduate Business degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IFRS accounting standards, tax laws, and reporting requirements
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in senior accounting roles. Supervisory experience is considered an asset.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software and spreadsheet programs and applications.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with the ability to work as a team, and take the initiative to contribute to the company’s overall success.
- Experience in the field of oil & gas and/or public accounting is considered an asset.
North Atlantic is committed to Employment Equity. Accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request for candidates with disabilities.
We offer a very competitive compensation and benefits package.
If you are a highly motivated team player, have the qualifications, and are prepared to meet the challenges as outlined, apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Tuesday, October 12th by 12:00 noon.
ABOUT NORTH ATLANTIC
North Atlantic is a province-wide leader in retail gas and convenience, residential, commercial, and wholesale fuels. For over 30 years, we’ve built our reputation on quality products, extraordinary service and community engagement. With our people first approach, North Atlantic looks for individuals who take initiative and dynamic personalities committed to fostering a strong team environment. We want people who are known for their positive attitude, authentic communications and personal drive.
Great people. Great products. That’s the North Atlantic difference.